Friday, May 26, 2006

Snow's Replacement?

My pal Andy Roth over at The Club for Growth emailed me earlier today asking me my opinion about who ought to replace John Snow over at the Treasury -- specifically, what my thoughts were on David Mulford who presently serves as the U.S. Ambassador to India.

I thought you might enjoy reading our little exchange...

----- Original Message -----
From: Andy Roth
To: Lawrence Kudlow
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 2:25 PM
Subject: treasury?

Larry,

What are you thoughts on who might replace Snow at Treasury? Here at the Club, we’re getting asked that question from members and the press so I thought I’d ask you.

Know anything about this Mulford guy? David Keating, our executive director, has heard good things about him. I’m skeptical of almost anybody who would take the job considering how the White House controls everything in the executive branch -- no unapproved, independent thinking allowed.

ABR

Andrew Roth | Director of Government Affairs | The Club for Growth

And my response to Mr. Roth:

----- Original Message -----
From: Lawrence Kudlow
To: Andy Roth
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: treasury?

Mulford could be good. He wasn't great under Papa Bush and Nick Brady when he was undersecretary, but he has moved away from the IMF and toward harder money over the past decade. I think he's a low-taxer. Don't know about tax reform.

Look, the two best would be Steve Forbes and Phil Gramm. No question. Far and away. That's where Bush and Bolten should go. Would really send a message on tax reform and budget reform and a hard dollar. Would electrify the markets. Would energize the base.

Longer shot good candidate would be Bill Thomas.

Have a good memorial day.

(House leadership on earmarks is pathetic. Pathetic. Senate isn't even that good.)

Best, Larry