Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Why Can't We Learn to Win in Iraq?

I want to win in Iraq. We need to come together and figure out a way to do it.

Americans are waiting for some leadership. Only a fifth want to cut and run. Heck, that fifth has always been against any war this country has ever fought.

I was down Sea Island, Georgia, last week, over the Thanksgiving holiday with my wife. It turns out that Newt Gingrich was giving a speech down there. The reason I raise this is that he asked us, "Why can't we learn to win in Iraq?" He said figure out how to do it and do it.

One of the other things Gingrich said that resonated with me was that we've got to have a lot more advisers in the Iraqi regiments. The problem is that the U.S. Army doesn't like advisers, because the way to get ahead in the U.S. Army is through combat operations. Many believe we need three to four times the current number of advisers.

The bottom line here is that we need to figure out a way to win this war.

I agree with Newt Gingrich.

No defeatism.

We need to do what it takes to win.